Year 4 Burwell House Residential
On 2nd-4th October 2023, Year 4 went on their first residential visit to Burwell House, Burwell, Cambridgeshire. Burwell House is a grand, beautifully decorated house which sits on 3 acres of land. It was built in 1787 and was enjoyed as a family home for many generations. In 1964, it was bought by Cambridgeshire County Council for £15,000 and today, it welcomes around 80 primary schools on residential visits each year. Year 4 were ecstatic to be one of these visitors this year.
During their 2-night visit, Year 4 completed a range of teambuilding and Geography based activities. These included:
- The Snail Game which helped pupils to acclimatise to the environment.
- Smugglers Mystery where pupils had to use map reading skills to find clues and solve the mystery.
- The Great Eggscape Challenge where pupils completed a range of teambuilding games to collect points. These points were then used in the evening to build contraptions to protect real eggs which were then dropped off the fire escape. A cracking time was had by all!
- Meet a Tree, a blindfolded challenge where children had to guess which tree in the grounds they had been guided to meet.
- Burwell Challenge, a tricky obstacle course.
- Shelter Building and Fire Lighting which were great fun and helped the pupils to learn essential skills.
- Burwell Orienteering Challenge where teams went out around the village and competed against each other to earn the most points.
- Burwell Fox, a firm favourite where the farmers (teachers) had to try and catch the foxes (children).
Whilst there, Year 4 also enjoyed a quiz night and a cozy film night. They also thoroughly enjoyed the delicious food served during family-style mealtimes.
“I loved Burwell House. It was extremely fun!” - Aya
“My favourite activity was the fire lighting because it was really interesting.” – Leon
“The food was amazing and the staff were very helpful.” - Somaiyah
A huge thank you to the wonderful staff at Burwell House and The Vine for ensuring Year 4 had an unforgettable residential trip!